The painting shows the luxury paddle ship Ozone steaming up Port Phillip Bay ferrying passengers between Melbourne, Mornington, Sorrento and Queenscliff in the late 1890’s.
The Ozone was built in Glasgow, and operated on the Bay during the period 1886 to 1919. At the time she was considered the finest paddle steamer to be built and was one of the first ships to have electric lighting.
An excellent account of the history of the paddle steamers on Port Phillip Bay is provided on the Mornington Peninsular website.
The Ozone was scuttled in 1925 and it now rests in shallow water just offshore in Half Moon Bay, Indented Head, Port Phillip Bay
Built in Glasgow – steel
Operated on Port Phillip Bay 1886 to 1918
Weight 572 tons
Paddle Wheels – 22ft diameter
Maximum speed – 20knts